Wednesday, May 13, 2015

13 de Mayo. Blog from Ellie

I cannot believe that we only have two full days left! Time flies here, and I’m dreading our departure date! The amount that I’ve been able to learn with no background in Spanish is ridiculous, and I don’t want it to end. I’ve grown close to the people in my family as well as my teacher. Xela is a such a beautiful place. Our days here are packed full of new and exciting experiences, each one bringing a new sense of wonder! The feeling of speaking and understanding a new language is indescribably magnificent. I’m thoroughly enjoying getting to know my own Guatemalan family. Each night I end up losing myself in conversation with my “brother.” It becomes easy to talk for hours and hours. As each of us grows more and more adjusted to the culture and routine here, we become a part of the community. It feels natural to speak in Spanish, and I continuously forget to return to english. The language is becoming a part of me, and I think I speak for all of us when I say that this is one of the best feelings to experience. There is so much to take in and experience that I could stay for another week, at least. Of course, the food, the climate, and the sights are all amazing here, but I have really found a great appreciation for the Spanish language!

Ellie

1 comment:

  1. Ellie, I am sure that your blog expresses the feelings of the entire group. All of you will return home with a deep appreciation for what you have experienced. Your lives have been forever enriched by this Guatemalan adventure.

    ReplyDelete